Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cute as a Persian Cucumber!

I've come to the conclusion that I like cute things.  Even more specifically, I like cute foods ~ how they look, how they taste, how they make me feel...And it's all the better when the cuteness of the food is also appreciated by my Cute Family (biased opinion, I know...but true nonetheless :)  More about that later...Anyhoo, the cuteness of the food makes me feel cute too...seriously!  Food brings on specific feelings, emotions, & reactions: love, excitement, disgust at times, and in this particular scenario, when I am in the midst of the Persian Cucumber, I feel its cuteness and I in turn feel cute!  I know, I'm weird...but that's part of my charming cuteness too ~ ha!   So anyway, most recently added to my "Cute List" is the lesser known Persian Cucumber, what I have lovingly named the "Cute Cuke."  Rather petite in size  (I'd say about 6 inches in length at the most) as compared to the typically seen & eaten run of the mill cucumber, though slender and less seedy like the sophisticated seedless English cucumber, the Persian cuke is a yummy, refreshing, and healthy food.  I happened to have some sliced Persian cukes tonite with dinner, dressed with a splash of seasoned rice vinegar (I am loyal to the Trader Joe's brand), though they are just as tasty au naturel, where freshness can be tasted with every crunchy bite.  Growing up in a Filipino household, I often had cucumbers, known as pepino (also spelled "pipino"),  as a side dish to a hearty meal, and the dressing that often accompanied it was a sweet and sour mix of white vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper, where the sweetness was balanced with the sourness of the acidic vinegar.  I think one can also liken it to the Japanese sunomono or the Thai Cucumber salad that one might come across when indulging in the delights of such Asian cuisines.  Perhaps there are other versions of this cute cucumber salad in other cultures, but since I am of Filipino/Asian descent, I focus in on what is familiar to me.  Anyway, back to the Persian cucumber...There's something, aside from its cute look, that draws me in to prefer this particular cucumber.  Perhaps I feel more foodie-like or gourmet when I see them and eat them.  Perhaps I just appreciate how unique it is from the average cuke.  Perhaps I simply like it because it is cute.  Nevertheless, it's good eating.  And actually, as my 4-year, 9-month old (Elena's very particular about being exact about her age :) demonstrated at the dinner table, the bite size slices of the Persian cucumber are great for perfecting [butter] knife skills, as she practiced her dicing and mincing technique while sneaking healthy samples of the food, and since my picky eater thought the Persian Cucumber was good enough to try, taste, and eat, I think that is super cute!  I hope you come upon them, perhaps the next time you're shopping at Costco, so you can see for yourself how cute they really are, and how refreshing they taste.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your write-up of those little corn on the cobs that come with Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the persian cukes, I like them better than the seedless english ones except they go bad FAST. BTW, we have a cucumber vinegar salad that we eat with heavy gravy type meals too. We mix salt and vinegar with the cukes, sometimes we add sour cream to that. It is soooo good with a pot roast and dumplings. I think I need to go to my moms house for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always made a cucumber dish when we needed something refreshing with dinner. She peeled and sliced the cucumbers thinly, layered them in a shallow dish, and seasoned them with sugar, salt, pepper, and white vinegar. So good!

    ReplyDelete