Monday, October 18, 2010

Dinner, Anyone?!

So I have a wonderful set of parents-Lolo & Lola to my Girlies, and a “Te"- my “aunt”/yaya/nanny who helped raise me and is now helping to care for and entertain my Girlies.   Anyway, while Alex & I are busy at work, the Girlies spend their time after school at my parents’ house, where they play, argue, eat, run around, play, argue, eat, run around, nap if lucky, play, argue, etc., etc.  After the work is done, Alex & I head over to my parents to reunite with Elena & Katrina.  Golly, I live for the looks of sheer delight and adoration on their faces as we walk through the doors, they continue their running around but this time into our arms, and we hug and kiss and recount the events of the day with one another from each of our unique perspectives.  In the midst of all this, there is often a delicious aroma floating throughout the kitchen and into the dining nook, and after all the hugs, kisses, and stories are shared, we are beckoned to head over to the dinner table for something fabulous.  This usually occurs 3 times a week, often with insistence from Mom & Dad.  I know…I am rather blessed and lucky (also read: spoiled) to have such a support system, that dinner is ready and waiting so that I get to enjoy the company of my dear family.  And tonight’s dinner did not disappoint!  We had such yummy oven-BBQ ribs, stir-fried shrimp,  white rice of course (though for once I did not eat much of it to watch my girlish figure), dressed romaine lettuce spears, and sweet papaya to round things out.  And to top it off, my Mom exclaimed that she has lost 15 pounds since her last visit to the doctor, and considering my Mom , let me tell you, that is a HUGE accomplishment that I am so proud of, and I know she is too! The dinner tonight was rather simply made but full of love and even healthy along with being delish, so it was truly fabulous.   And watching the sight of Katrina enjoying a BBQ rib was priceless, and encouraging Elena to try a romaine lettuce spear was challenging, but it’s all about the experience and effort that she put into it.  I am thankful everyday that I get to eat dinner with my fun-loving family, whether I’ve made it, Alex has, the Girlies have, or Te has…In any scenario, it’s all good!

And just to get more eye-rolling from my audience, my cousin filled me in earlier today regarding what he was going to be making his family for dinner…2 racks of lamb…on a Monday night…for no significant reason, except for the love of family!  Awesome!

3 comments:

  1. Pork baby back ribs...So tender & seasoned really well! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had beef ribs was in Texas. It's all that they rave about down there. That and brisket. And to be honest, the barbecue in the Golden Triangle region is AWFUL, especially compared to Chicago.

    Anyway, I just don't see the appeal to a beef rib. It's a nice change of pace if you are having a barbecue type event, but as a standalone dish, pork ribs win every time.

    And yes, your blog did rub off on me. I was at Portillo's intent on a Beef 'N Cheddar croissant, but I just couldn't shake the idea of having their ribs instead. It was my first time having theirs, and while I still prefer the sauce at Billy Boy's, Portillo's were quite fantastic.

    ReplyDelete