Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Loving Thoughts on Coffee

It’s evening time, and I really want a nice cup of coffee after what was kind of an annoying day!  But I shall resist the urge since I have no decaf Keurig cups available, and caffeine in my system after the 3:00pm hour doesn’t make for a good night’s sleep, which in turn results in a cranky Nom Nom Nom Mom.  So instead, I shall anxiously await my 1st sips of hot coffee in the morning.  If I’m on schedule, then I can make a quick cup of my fave Keurig Green Mountain Coffee's Nantucket Blend sweetened with Coffee House Inspirations Dark Chocolate Cream & maybe 1 splenda, but if I’m running late, then perhaps I will hit the drive-thru at Dunkin Donuts for a medium coffee~easy cream & 1 splenda, or maybe I should “splurge” and spend a bit more for a Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte with 1 pump of Peppermint from Starbucks.  In any case, I look forward to my caffeine fix in the morning that jump starts my day, helps me get motivated to get up early (but not as early as Alex does--5:00am is uncalled for, even if the gym is calling his name before he metra’s it downtown for work), helps me prepare quick breakfasts for the family, helps in getting through the kids’ school carpools & activities, helps me sort through the piles of papers on my office desk, helps me figure out what continuing education classes I need to take to keep my SLP certification, and generally helps me get through the day on a happy note.  Coffee is my beloved friend. 
As I have described already, I will basically take coffee wherever it’s available, but I think I have developed a palate for well-made coffee, even if some places tend to over-roast their beans to cut costs yet make us consumers pay the price, ahem.  Anyhoo, whenever I can brew a pot of coffee, I will take the time to do so, maybe using a grocery-sold brand such as Hills Bros., which my Aunt Te has pronounced all my life as “Hills Bros” and not “Hills Brothers”-ha!  Usually you’re more likely to find me pressing a button on the Keurig to deliver my single cup of coffee of choice (and there are many varieties available).  But I can also trust in a good cup of regular coffee/specialty coffee (e.g., latte) from the trusted establishments otherwise known as Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks when I’m close to home, but if I’m in the City (of Chicago, that is) then I might search for a strong cup of Intelligentsia where specialty coffee drinks are all gussied up with a fancy frothy flower, pretty leaf design, or some other creamy artistic creation. I absolutely miss having Peet’s Coffee & Tea nearby, where I lovingly sipped on a white chocolate mocha made with skim milk, when I was up in Evanston during my years of academia or when I was the living in the city as a 20-something young professional~ha!  But Peet’s earthy coffee and flavor-filled brews are something that will hold a special place in my heart for helping me study well and live well during that period in my life.  If only Peet’s would make its way to the Southwest ‘burbs…When I visited my brother in California, my preferred coffee place was The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, perhaps because of their good coffee drinks but maybe more so because of the cute name that made it’s point regarding the origins of our beloved hot beverages.  I’m a sucker for a good name.  And even when I’ve traveled to visit family in the Philippines, it's been neat to see Starbucks, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, and Seattle’s Best make names for themselves across the ocean.  Heck, even when I’m in a Thai restaurant, I can’t pass up a nice tall glass of Thai Iced Coffee~so exotically sweet and energizing all at once.  And essentially, coffee and it's related drinks-hot or cold-can be found worldwide in various forms that all bring the people that drink this elixir a sense of happiness.  So, everywhere I’ve turned, coffee has been there to greet me at breakfast, lunch, and as an after dinner accompaniment to dessert.  And although Alex basically starts gagging at the sight and smell of wonderfully brewed coffee, Elena & Katrina jump at the chance to help me prepare my cup with a bit of cream & splenda, or once in a while a spoonful of sugar to help the day be just as sweet.  Enjoy your cup in the morning!

PS:  If any coffee establishment reps have read this post, you’re welcome for the free advertising J


Peet's White Chocolate Mochas...Aren't their coffee cups the cutest?!
(picture courtesy of eileent.com)

4 comments:

  1. "Hills Bros." Awesome.

    Unless I'm getting something carmely (sp?) from Starbuck's or the like, then I go black. When I was living down south it seemed like the ritual of the after dinner coffee was still practiced all over and that's when I grew to love the finer bean offerings. But being that they're a bit more expensive, I started toying with French Presses. If you don't have one, you really should try one. They look great sitting on the counter, even if they never get used.

    I settled on an AeroPress after going through about 5 or 6 of the nicer classic glass presses because cleanup is so much easier. You lose a small small small amount of the body because of the filter system, but you would have to be actually looking for a flaw to notice it.

    It works great for espresso too!
    http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-80R08-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B000GXZ2GS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the rec on the French Press, Chad! You can get me one for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love coffee from a french press, but i'm too lazy for both prep and clean up ;)

    have you tried any of the specialty coffee drinks at panini xpresso in palos heights? they're super sweet, so they're a once in awhile treat, but very delicious. they have a ton of flavors too--my fave is milky way and scottie likes the german chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete