Saturday, October 23, 2010

10-Minute Meal (Watch out Rachael Ray!)

So Saturday morning comes along, and though I had every intention of sleeping in til at least 7:15 a.m., even after 2 little Girlies got up at 6:30 a.m. and started playing with their dolls, block towers, and tea sets--all of which were brought into our room by the way, just in case Mommy & Daddy wanted in on the play action--I eventually found the motivation to get up and face the day head on.  I don't know what it was, but perhaps some adrenaline rush came over me, and I headed downstairs to the kitchen and just started pulling things out of the fridge without thinking twice, and next thing you know, I had prepared a very simple though satisfying breakfast for my loves, and even better they ALL enjoyed what was set before them in all of 10 minutes flat!  I kinda surprised myself with how focused I was on getting food on the table for all to enjoy in such a short amount of time.  Ok, now, I hope you don't think I prepared some gourmet breakfast in that short amount of time, because I surely did not, but it was still yummy and served its purpose of breaking the fast from not being able to nom-nom-nom while otherwise engaged in the hours of restful sleep had the night before.  So what was the meal that brought smiles and full bellies to Alex, Elena, & Katrina, you may be wondering?  Bacon, scrambled eggs, buttered wheat toast with a smidge of strawberry jam (preserves are too chunky for my palate), and OJ/milk/coffee to wash it all down, and NO the coffee was not drunk by the other parties involved...only me.  So simple, so satisfying, and so quick!  I'm proud of myself.  How do you like your eggs?  Here's my quick & informal recipe for the scrambled eggs I grew up eating with my brothers, which I made for my family of 4:

6 eggs
a good pinch of sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
a pinch of garlic powder
a teaspoon or so of half & half

Mix all the ingredients, whipped with a fork, and splash into a skillet of equal parts butter & olive oil (I don't know, maybe a teaspoon each of such) and mix the eggs around until pastel yellow in color and ready looking to eat.  I know, my description of cooking is rather informal, but it does the trick.  My Girlies liked dipping their scrambles into ketchup, whereas I piled mine onto my light buttered wheat toast with strawberry jam, added a piece of bacon, and gave myself some fuel for the day followed by some sips of my cup of coffee made with the help of my trusty Keurig.  I'm not sure what Alex did with his helping, as it was gone before I knew it since he tends to scarf down food, especially when it's good~ha!

I love how this 10-minute meal gave me so much time to hang with my family and share in the activities of this morning.  I hope your 10-minute meals help you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment