Monday, November 22, 2010

Good Food...Good Friends...Good Times!

This past weekend, I had the chance to partake in some needed grown-up time with some dear college friends.  An historic football game was played at Wrigley Field (yes, the grand old baseball field) between our alma mater, Northwestern & its Wildcats vs. the Fighting Illini from U of I.   And although I was unable to cheer on the Wildcats at the Friendly Confines despite their sad defeat, I was able to make it out later that evening with my fellow Wildcat Husband and meet up with some of our Wildcat Friends, some of whom live in the City and one of whom took a flight in for the game and a "playdate" of sorts with us Chicago-based friends.  So after Facebook messages, texting, 3-way-calling on our cells during my Girlies ballet class in the suburbs, most of the morning's communications were to find a last minute dinner reservation.  And it finally was decided that our playdate would take place at 8pm at Gemini Bistro in Lincoln Park.


I live for dinner dates with friends, and I especially love when I get to partake in mini-reunions with the NU Crew, so I was very much looking forward to the evening ahead.  And to make things even neater, Alex & I were headed into the City, a place I love, to a nice restaurant to eat, an activity I love to do. The whole evening did not disappoint. Wine bottles of Tomero Malbec (yum!) immediately came to the table in conjunction with someone's (ahem) 7&7 cocktail, and my dear friend's order of a Coffee & Bailey's~Oh, Catherine! This was definitely going to be a fun evening...The menu selections were also wide and offered something for everyone's palate.  Here's a look at what we lovely ladies decided upon to entice our palates with forkfuls of deliciousness:
Seared Scallops

Steak Frites

Mussels Fra Diavolo

During dinner, I enjoyed my tender morsels of spicy mussels that melted in my mouth with just the right amount of heat to help me savor the taste of it all. And that delicious garlic crouton helped soak up the savory broth that drenched the mussels in much flavor. Scallops were seared to perfection, Filet Mignon shared the spotlight with delicious Frites, crunchy Coconut Shrimp made it way into one's tummy, and eventually sweetly sugared Creme Brulee & decadent Chocolate Fudge Cake topped off a delightful meal together. We all caught up with one another's lives regarding new cars and/or homes bought, newsworthy items, innovative marketing strategies, our sassy & sweet Girlies, and the mating habits of fruit flies, yes, fruit flies~all wonderful topics that provided us food for thought.  In addition to such fun conversation, friends watched me get more and more talkative and outgoing as the 7&7 quickly disappeared and the wine continued to flow, and we all thoroughly enjoyed each other's company.  I wish all of the NU Crew from 1835 Hinman & beyond were present to partake in such a fun evening of good food, good friends, and most definitely good times...I can't wait til next time where we all meet again when our busy schedules align perfectly to have another grown-up playdate.  Cheers to my dear friends from your faithful & foodie pal, Madonna...and these days a.k.a Nom Nom Nom Mom!  Much love!


1 comment:

  1. I am soo hungry now. Great post! More recipes, please....
    besos

    ReplyDelete