Wednesday, January 19, 2011

STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards...

Goodness gracious, what a stressful couple of days it has been...Snow is still on the ground, the Bears tackle the Packers next Sunday en route to Chicago's Super Bowl appearance (tee hee), changes at the family's business are constantly happening for the betterment of the company, my Elena turns 5 tomorrow (where has the time gone?!)...And to top things off, my Mom's been coughing so badly lately and just can't seem to shake the "cold" she has that she finally agreed to seek medical attention at the hospital.  If you know anything about me, I don't handle my parents getting sick nor their having to go to the hospital well at all...Like I become a crying baby...a helpless nearly 34-year-old immature adult who can't bear to see Dad or Mom feeling yucky...It makes me feel yucky as well...And even more so, I become so stressed out about the whole situation and all situations (good and bad) that occur simultaneously, that I can't and don't function well.  And to deal with my stress this time around, I have turned to desserts, just like any other sane individual would, right?! Right. So to temporarily ward off my worries and concern about my endearingly crazy though loving mother while she rests and recovers under the watchful eye of doctors and nurses, I have turned to the Boston Cream Pie to put a bit of a smile on my face.


According to Wikipedia, the Boston Cream Pie is quite the confection! Cake, custard, & chocolate ganache all in one sitting.  Can't beat that. Pie? Perhaps not so much, but when you do a web search and explore the history of this sweet treat, the pie part may have been for lack of springform pans back in the day...Whichever way you slice it, this treat, which I purchased from a local, traditional, and reliable bakery in my area, definitely put a smile on my glum face after all the stress of this particular day.  It even brought a smile to my nearly 5-year-old's face, since she was more than willing to partake in a pre-birthday treat.  I think I might just have to bring some to dear old Mom to make her recovery & stay in the hospital even speedier, erase her stressed feelings as of late, and surround her with just desserts, including sweet old me! Find yourself a boston cream pie or some other sweet desserts so that your stressed day may be swiftly erased and replaced with some sweetness in your life.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hope your mom feels better soon. And happy birthday E!!!! I can't believe they are 5 -- I just found a picture of her and Jack when they were about 2 months old. Seriously, how did it go so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! We visited her today as part of Elena's bday activities, and my Mom looks well rested which is what she needs...Can you believe we have 5-year-olds?? Time is totally flying!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete